The shower and the rest of the bathroom always have high levels of humidity, steam, and water in them. It is never safe to use electricity in wet areas, but this is inevitable when it comes to the bathroom. You either have to touch an electrical switch or use a hair dryer or shaver every day as you use the room. Using electricity in a humid or wet area increases the chances of electrical hazards such as electrocution. Here are some ways to ensure your safety when handling light fixtures, devices, and other electrical components in the bathroom.
Position sockets appropriately
All electrical outlets in the bathroom should be placed in such a way that they are not near the shower, bathtub, and any other wet parts of the bathroom. This will prevent water from coming into contact with them and causing electrical sparks. If there are any sockets near the shower area, have your electrician rewire the bathroom and transfer them to a safer distance. If possible, they should also be at a safe distance from the ground.
Install GFCIs in the bathroom
Every home should have a ground fault circuit interrupters for all the sockets. GFCIs are devices that shut off electrical power when they find that the current is traveling through the wrong channel. In most cases, this could be through water or an individual. When someone touches a wet outlet or electrical fixture in the bathroom, the GFCI cuts off the power and protects the individual from electrocution. This device is very critical, not only for the bathroom but also for the electrical safety of the entire household.
Install bathroom-friendly fixtures
The kind of electrical fixtures you have in the bathroom can improve or deteriorate your safety. In this light, avoid hanging light fixtures as they are at a high risk of coming into contact with water. Instead, go for recessed or enclosed lighting to protect the fittings from water and steam. Also, avoid installing fixtures with switches in the bathroom as it increases the chances of someone touching them with wet hands. Instead, opt for those with pull strings that are not good conductors of electricity.
Repair damaged wiring
Using a bathroom with damaged wiring or with exposed parts is risky for your household. When the wires come into contact with water, they can spark and cause an electrical fire. What's more, someone can accidentally touch the exposed live wiring and get electrocuted. Always inspect your bathroom wiring and ensure that it is in good condition. Damaged wires should be repaired immediately by a professional electrical contractor.